Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thursday Wild Card: Nutrition- 10 ways to avoid packing on the pounds

Hello and Happy Thursday!

Today I want to discuss some ways we can prevent that oh so dreaded holiday weight gain (or at least maintain our current weight). I have been trying really hard to focus on becoming a healthier person this year and have stumbled upon a few things on my journey. I want to share with you the 10 things that have helped me most to lose weight and also maintain it.


#1 Drink water! A lot of times when I thought I was hungry all I needed was a drink of water. I am not saying that we should stop eating, but a lot of times our bodies will tell us we are hungry when we are really just thirsty. There is a lot of water in food, but also a lot of extra calories that we don't always need.

#2 Excercise! I have found that for me exercising 3 times a week for at least an hour a day has really helped me lose weight. Some people may think that they can't do this, but start small. I started out with 10-15 minutes a day 3 times a week and now I have worked up to about an hour 3 times a week.

#3 Plan ahead! Plan, plan, plan! If I plan a weeks worth of meals it serves two purposes. First, if I have a plan I am less likely to call the pizza guy or eat out. Second, if you have a plan in place if you do eat out you decide before you go what you will eat. If I wait to decide when we get somewhere I often cave in and eat unhealthy. If I tell myself I want a burger tonight then I know I can get the small burger but no fries or soda. If you are prepared its a lot easier to not buckle.

#4 Have a 'cheat day'! I never eat clean every day of the week. Normally, I try and eat fairly healthy Monday-Friday, but then I allow myself to have a cookie and be not so good on the weekend. This doesn't mean I binge, but I enjoy myself.

#5 Fill up on fruits and veggies! Sometimes I get so concerned with making a big meal that I forget how important these two food groups are. Fresh fruits and veggies are the best plus a lot of them are good sources of fiber which keep you full for longer.

#6 Read labels! I am not super good at this one yet, but I try. I try to avoid food that contains a lot of sugar or 'enriched' flour. Neither of those ingredients help you maintain or not gain!

#7 Food Journal. If you are worried about your diet a great starting point is to journal what you eat in a day. This was an eye opener for me. I realized that a lot of my snacks were calorie loaded and I could be eating healthier.

#8 Play with your kids. They are GREAT excercise! They have so much energy and chasing them around the house or letting them use you as a jungle gym can give you a good mini workout. I have loved that, as I have become more in shape, I can last longer running around.

#9 Cut out soda and juice! These (yes even diet soda) contain a lot of sugar which can lead to excess belly fat. I have to admit I still like a soda now and then I just make sure it is a special treat and not a daily one.

#10 Snack wise! I love to snack! I hate eating super big meals because I always feel so uncomfortable after eating them, so I like to eat small meals and snack. This is a wise way to eat, but you have to be careful what you snack on. I always cut veggies and fruit up when I get them home from the store. I also, have started to portion out my snacks that way I am only eating 1 serving instead of 3. I love the 100 calorie packs. I also have a cool app on my iPod called the snack app that gives me great snack ideas that have 50-200 calories.

I hope these simple ideas help you have a happier holiday season! Do you have any good health tips? If so, please post! I greatly appreciate your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment