Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Project Mom Week 2

Happy Black Friday! I hope you all have a great day shopping if you so choose to battle the crowds. I chose to do mine online and only have one person left to shop for! :) If you are still wanting to complete the project for the prize leave at least one comment concerning last weeks post and what you have discovered.This week we will be going over things we don't like.

Wasn't it wonderful to rediscover things about yourself last week? Some of my 15 minute breaks included a bubble bath, reading a book, enjoying an episode of George Lopez. It was so refreshing to take a break and do something I enjoyed!

Along with things we do like it is important to know what we don't. For example I have always loathed folding laundry and onions. There are some things we do not like, such as folding laundry, that have to be done no matter what though so we have to find ways to make doing those things more enjoyable. As for onions, there are some things we don't like that we can choose to avoid or alter. The hard part is not finding ways to deal with these 'unlikeables'.

This week there are 2 lists I want you to make (yes, I know I am big on lists, but that will be explained in week 5). The lists I want you to make are the following:

1. What are 10 things you dislike that are negotiable (i.e. onions)

2. What are 10 things you dislike that are non-negotiable (i.e, folding laundry, paying bills, changing diapers)

The big difference between the two lists is things you can change (I can choose not to put onions in my food) and the other list is things you really can't (you have to pay bills).

Once you have made your lists evaluate them. Why do you dislike the things on your lists? I suggest you journal about it if you have a notebook. Now, make a quick list (in your head even) of a few things you like to do again. Why do you like to do those things you thought of? I personally found that most of the things on my 'like' list were things I had fun doing.

Now compare the lists. On my dislikes list were mainly things that weren't fun. Now, my mom used to tell me "things are what you make them." This always made me roll my eyes, but I am beginning to believe it has some truth to it.

As a Mom I have definitely realized there is a lot I don't like to do. At the same time I am beginning to realize that if I change my attitude some things aren't as bad as I originally believe them to be. I know we can't change everything and that somethings we may never find enjoyable, but I still have the power to choose to be pleasant while doing the these things.

Look at your dislike lists again. What do you have the power to change? I bet once you get to looking at your lists you might be surprised. For example, changing my boys' diapers is not a choice I have, but I can choose to make it fun or make everyone miserable doing it. For example, to make diaper changing fun, I sometimes chase the boys down and tickle them. This makes them happy and more cooperative. It may take longer but everyone comes out smiling.

We are so powerful ladies! We can change the way we see ourselves by changing the way we view our lives. This week I want you to do one thing. At least once a day I want you to take something you don't like and make it fun! Empower yourself by choosing to create your own fun!

Have a great week! PLEASE remember that if you are participating for the prize you NEED to comment with your results!

Come What May and LOVE it! :)

3 comments:

  1. I had am eye opener when I thought back to all the things I really enjoyed doing as a kid! I ued to like riding my bike, playing outside, swimming, dancing, etc. I don't play much outside anymore and I hope to change that! It was nice to see that I still do some of this things I really likes such as singing to any song I know and reading lots of books. I took some time this week to re-read some of the short books I really enjoyed as a kid and it was lots of fun!!!

    A week of dislikes... this could be tricky:) Thanks for the wonderful inspiration Celeste!!! Hope you have had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of breaks that I enjoy most during the day is a nice long hot shower!! I totally took this for granted before my Gabers! I also had such a fun time thinking about the things I loved as a kid and it made me think about how much things change when you grow up and how some things really don't change much at all. Surprisingly when I was little I loved dirt and bugs and I dont love those things so much anymore. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realized that I still love almost all the things I loved to do as a kid, just now I only do them when no one is looking or only with my kids(like playing in the dirt and jumping on the bed). And somethings I really, really don't like anymore (like playing in the snow). A lot of good memories doing this project. :)

    ReplyDelete