Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Jeans refashioned

Drum roll please. My first refashion tutorial! I am so excited to show you my little project this morning. I have a lot of jeans that have holes here and there and I really didn't want to just throw them away, (I have an emotional attachment to my clothes) so using 3 pairs of old jeans I made 2 skirts and a purse (tutorial to come). They are way cute and I love that I was able to control the length. I always think the jeans skirts I see are too long or WAY too short, so it was nice to be in control.

In order to make the skirt you will need the following:
2 pairs of old jeans ( This will do 1 1/2 skirts)
Scissors
Sewing Machine
Thread
Pins

I started with this:

an old scruddy pair of jeans


I cut up the seam in the middle on both sides like this:


Then, I cut off the jeans straight across at the length I wanted the skirt, this is now the main part of the skirt.


Then I cut the leg (front and back) out of the other pair of jeans. I pinned it together and sewed it like this:


After the front and back pieces of the leg were sewn together I pinned it (inside out) to my skirt piece as shown below.

I then sewed the 2 pieces together using a zig zag stitch. There will be an edge of material on the outside but this is good. It will fray in the dryer which will give it a fringy edge. I think it really adds to the skirt.


Now repeat cutting out the pant leg, front and back, but this time sew it to the back of the skirt like this:


You are finished! Enjoy! I got so many comments about my skirt at church. It is so nice to have a cute jean skirt that I was able to customize. If you try this out, PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS.

Have a GREAT day!

2 comments:

  1. So cute! I will have to try that one of these days!! Or, since you will be my way very soon maybe you can just show me in real life! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, speaking of which you need to inform me how you make your temple art. I was thinking of trying it with my brother's announcement. I think It would look super cool done that way. :)

    ReplyDelete